East India is a unique region like no other with such an abundant ethnic diversity that you will reconsider everything you thought you knew about this country. Disconnected by jungles and the Himalayas, we’ll roadtrip off the beaten path searching some of the most interesting tribes in Asia. From the Konyak “headhunters” of Nagaland to the Atapani in Arunachal Pradesh. We’ll journey across valleys, villages, and river islands searching for wild experiences and incredible travel stories with the best possible travel family.
Day 1: Journey to Ziro Valley.
- Start in Dibrugarh drive through Assam mountains and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Overnight in Ziro Valley.
Day 2: Atapani Tribe.
- Full day meeting the Atapani tribes and exploring the villages of the stunning Ziro Valley.
- Overnight in Ziro Valley.
Day 3: Journey to Majuli Island.
- Majuli Island is the largest river island in the World, and culture capital of Assam. We’ll explore the village and tribal life of this rich enclave.
- Overnight in Hunza.
Day 4: Journey to Nagaland.
- After a morning in the idyllic picturesque water landscapes of Majuli, we’ll set off to our next destination, the village of Mon in Nagaland.
- Overnight in Mon.
Day 5: Veda Peak, Shangnyu Chui and Longwa Village.
- After breakfast we’ll explore some of the most photogenic villages in Nagaland. We’ll be as far East as you can go in India, and even cross into Myanmar in one of the villages, where the border splits the settlement in half.
- Overnight in Longwa Village.
Day 6: Konyak tribe.
- Full day with the Konyak tribe, known as the “Headhunter” tribe for the trophies they took after wars with their enemies.
- Overnight in Lahore.
Day 7: Aoleang Festival
- We’ll be lucky to witness this yearly festival where the Konyak gather and celebrate the coming of Spring and sowing of seeds. They dress up in costumes and partake in dance rituals. An experience that will surely be one of the highlights of our Expedition.
- Overnight in Dibrugarh.
Day 8: Fly out
- After breakfast, it’s the saddest moment of any Expedition: saying goodbye! We’ll take our domestic flights back to Delhi, or, to Sikkim if you are connecting with our Indian Himalayas & Bhutan Expedition.
HotelsShared rooms in 3-4star hotels when available
TransportPrivate vehicle and driver.
Domestic FlightsReturn flights from Delhi to Dibrugarh
Entrance FeesAll entrance fees to sites on your itinerary.
MealsBreakfast and dinners in homestays are included (where it's hard to find restaurants or other food options).
Visa AssistanceMost nationalities can get an evisa to visit India and need a permit to visit the Eastern regions. We'll assist you in the process should you have any doubts.
Local GuidesExpert crew that will help us navigate and squeeze the most juice of our adventure.
Most nationalities can get an evisa to visit India. We’ll assist you in the process should you have any doubts.
Wander Expedition doesn’t book flights for you and is ultimately not responsible for your flight connection, but we can offer guidance and support when you research the best options for you. You will be flying to and from Delhi.
India is one of the safest destinations we’ve traveled to in Wander Expedition! It’s a fantastic first experience in South Asia for those of you that want to explore the most secluded side of this region with the best local crew.
This Expedition is for everyone looking to have a fun time, explore an off the beaten path destination, make new travel friends and memorable travel stories. East India is the perfect unique off the grid adventure, offering great cultural depth, secluded tribes, and stunning outdoors. It’s also one of our most affordable Expeditions and one of those that will be filled with travel stories.
Wander Expeditions is not a traditional travel agency where the first to pay is the first to go. We take you to stunning destinations, but we know the people you share it with is even more important when you travel. That’s why we have a refined selection process where we filter and vet candidates to ensure that groups are fun, balanced, diverse and interesting! We make sure candidates are on the same page and share our values of being fun, flexible and fearless, so we can guarantee everyone will have an amazing experience. We create travel families, so #trusttheprocess. Halfway through our process, we share the price with all pre-selected applicants. It only takes 15 min to apply, so you literally have nothing to lose! What are you waiting for to join the Wander Fam?
how to join?
If you want to be one of the fortunate people selected for our East India Expedition:
- Make sure the dates work with you before you start the selection process.
- SAY YES and complete our online application form below.
- Once you’ve applied and signed up to Wander Expedition, we’ll update you as you move on in the selection process. Check your Spam folder regularly in case the automated emails go there!