Algeria is Africa’s North Korea. It is the largest country in the continent, yet it remains one of its biggest mysteries. We’ll explore this off the beaten path destination where visitors rarely venture and experience some of the best local hospitality, stunning mediterranean landscapes, tasty food and an ancient history. It’s an Expedition for the insatiably curious, those that want to travel deeper. And as always, the most fun family you could hope to share these memories with!
Day 0: To make the most of our time in the Expedition, we suggest you fly in the evening before, on May 22nd. You’ll have a slow day in Algiers before the Expedition starts the following day.
Day 1: Algiers.
- The Expedition starts early in the morning of May 23rd. We will start by walking down the narrow streets of the casbah of Algier, a UNESCO WHS, filled with history and culture. Our tour of the city will continue to Ketchaoua Mosque, Martyr’s Monument and our Lady of Africa.
- In the afternoon, we’ll drive West to Oran, where we will have dinner and overnight.
Day 2: Oran.
- Oran is a vibrant city with Spanish influences for which you will fall immediately. We’ll start exploring the Plaza de Armas, along with the Sacré Coeur church, before driving along the Corniche to go uphill visit the spectacular Santa Cruz Fortress. From here, we’ll get panoramic views of the whole city.
- After lunch, we’ll visit Tlemcen, once a religious and cultural centre of Islam as well as a focal point of trading routes along coastal northern Africa and famous for its moorish and almoravid architecture.
- Dinner and overnight in Tlemcen.
Day 3: Tlemcen & Tipaza.
- In the morning, we’ll continue exploring Tlemcen.
- For the afternoon, we have one of the Expedition highlights: Tipaza. These Roman ruins by the coast are a UNESCO WHS and one of the most gorgeous settlements left from this ancient civilization.
- Dinner and overnight in Algiers.
Day 4: Djemila & Constantine.
- Early start to visit Djemila, a UNESCO WHS. Djemila means the beautiful in Arabic, and is one of the World’s most stunning Roman ruins. The archaeological vestiges, the well integrated Roman urban planning and the surrounding environment represent the values attributed to this site.
- We’ll journey on to Constantine, the city of bridges, an incredibly unique city with spectacular landscapes and monuments like the jaw-dropping Emir Abdelkader Mosque.
- Dinner and overnight in Constantine.
Day 5: Timgad & Constantine.
- We’ll day-trip to the amazing Roman ruins of Timgad in Batna. Timgad, with its urban planning military camp, is a unique Roman settlement in the high plains of Algeria.
- After lunch, we’ll drive back to Constantine to continue our exploration of the city.
- Dinner and overnight in Constantine.
Day 6: Annaba
- Today we drive towards the Tunisian border, to visit the city of Annaba aka Hippone Regius. The Cours de la Révolution is today one of the busiest and most lively places in town, we’ll try some local delicacies for lunch, visit the mosque of Salah Bey and drive by the coast to have some nice views of the Corniche for sunset.
- Dinner and overnight in Annaba.
Day 7: Road to Algiers.
- The drive back to the capital is around 6h and we’ll have lunch on the way.
- In the afternoon, we’ll arrange PCR if needed and have free time to walk around the city and buy some souvenirs.
- Farewell dinner and overnight in Algiers.
Day 8: Fly out.
- The saddest moment of the Expedition is here! Time to say goodbye after breakfast to our travel family and new lifelong friends.
Hotels4* hotels (when available).
GuidesExpert local guide and fixer.
TransportMini bus with driver.
FoodThree meals a day with a drink (water or soft drink).
Entrance FeesAll entrance fees to sites on your itinerary.
Visa AssistanceYou will likely have to apply for a visa in the Algerian Embassy of your home country, but we'll assist you all the way in this process, and even provide you with a letter of invitation. Even Americans applying in DC!
how to join?
If you want to be one of the fortunate people selected for our Algeria Expedition:
- Make sure the dates work with you before you start the selection process.
- SAY YES and complete our online application form below.
- Once you’ve applied and signed up to Wander Expedition, we’ll update you as you move on in the selection process. Check your Spam folder regularly in case the automated emails go there!
There are no reviews yet.