Ghana, Togo & Benin
Ghana, Togo & Benin
Ghana, Togo and Benin are the perfect first experience in West Africa, while still keeping all the thrill and adventure you seek for in any off-the-beaten path experience. Ghana offers epic outdoors from Kakum NP to a gorgeous photogenic coast sprinkled with colonial castles. Togo and Benin are also the home of Voodoo, which we will try to understand as a belief system based on nature and spirituality, breaking the stereotypes of western pop-culture. Finally, we will marvel in stunning sceneries and the unique stilt lake villages that are found in both neighboring countries. It’s the Expedition of a lifetime, where you will create stories that will last forever! You can’t miss it!
Day 1: Accra.
- The Expedition starts in Accra, Ghana on December 3rd. To maximize our time, everyone should arrive a day early, on the 2nd. We’ll start in the early morning and explore the capital.
- Overnight in Accra.
Day 2: Cape Coast & Elmina.
- In the early morning, we’ll set out to explore the most important historical part of Ghana. Cape Coast and Elmina were strongholds for commerce and slave trade. We’ll venture in their dark past, from the dungeons of their castles, to the fishing ports that are still lively today.
- We’ll mingle with locals in the fish markets and try some of the local delicacies for lunch.
- In the evening we will drive to Kakum NP and sleep by the forest.
- Overnight in Kakum.
Day 3: Kakum NP & Akossombo.
- It’s time to venture into Kakum NP, one of the crown jewels of Ghana’s natural diversity. After exploring this lush virgin rainforest from the ground to its canopy, we’ll head towards the border with Togo.
- In the afternoon, we will discover the Volta region on a canoe, the best way to enjoy this ecosystem and take in the local life.
- We’ll end our day in Akossombo, home of the second biggest dam in Africa (after Aswan).
- Overnight in Akossombo.
Day 4: Akossombo & Kpalimé
- Today we’ll cross into Togo. First thing, we will venture into Ewe country and go on a small hike to meet the Ewe tribe atop Agou Mountain. The Ewe are an animist tribe and we’ll spend the afternoon with them as they go about their day lives.
- Overnight in Kpalimé.
Day 5: Lomé
- We’ll drive to the capital of Togo, and explore it’s interesting Voodoo Market.
- Overnight in Lomé.
Day 6: Lomé to Grand Popo.
- It’s time to head to Benin, where we will continue to deepen our understanding of the Voodoo religion near Lake Ahemé. We will partake on an authentic local ritual. Something very special that outsiders rarely get to see.
- Afternoon by the beach at Grand Popo.
- Overnight in Grand Popo.
Day 7: Ouidah, Ganvié and Cotonou.
- In the morning, we’ll explore Ouidah an important point in Benin’s slave trade and also a crucial center of Voodoo. From there, we will venture to Ganvié, the town on lake Nokoue, built on stilt houses, canals instead of streets and boats instead of cars.
- The afternoon, we’ll relax by the pool of our Hotel, and go out to explore the market in Cotonou.
- Overnight in Cotonou.
Day 8: Free time, fly out.
- After breakfast, the worst moment of every Expedition: we say goodbye. The Expedition is finished and we fly out.
AccomodationShared twin room in 3-4 star hotels (when available) on a bed and breakfast basis.
GuidesExpert local guide and fixer.
TransportPrivate vehicles, fuel and drivers
Visa SupportWe'll help you prepare the visas for Ghana, Togo and Benin.
Contribution to local communitiesEvery tribe visit tries to create an impact in the community with our contributions
Activities and TicketsEvery visit, entrance ticket or activity is included.
Togo has on arrival visa for most nationalities and Benin has an evisa that is easy to apply for online. For Ghana you can apply at your nearest Embassy or pick it on arrival with a letter we will prepare for you. We can give you support when the time comes.
Wander Expedition doesn’t book flights for you and is ultimately not responsible for your flight connection, but we can offer guidance and support when you research the best options for you. We’ll meet in Accra on December 2nd and you can fly out of Cotonou on December 10th.
We will be always accompanied by an expert local crew, which will help us interact with locals and have the best possible experience.
Ghana, Togo and Benin are a friendly gateway to West Africa but still remain very untouched by tourism. They are perfect if you are looking for an adventure and creating stories with a powerful human connection and photogenic landscapes.
how to join?
If you want to be one of the fortunate people selected for our Ghana, Togo & Benin Expedition:
- Make sure the dates work with you before you start the selection process.
- SAY YES and complete our online application form below.
- Once you’ve applied and signed up to Wander Expedition, we’ll update you as you move on in the selection process. Check your Spam folder regularly in case the automated emails go there!