Mauritania is the definition of a desert adventure. It has some of the best oases in the World, with natural pools and forests of palm trees which give tasty dates and a cool shade where you can sip some delicious mint tea. Experience local hospitality, stunning desert landscapes and an ancient history that survives amidst the dunes. It’s an Expedition for thrill seekers, with an insane train ride and our most affordable one! And as always, the most fun family you could hope to share these memories with!
Day 1: Arrival in Nouakchott
- After arriving and checking into our hotel, we’ll visit of the old administrative district of Nouakchott, the Saudi Mosque and the handicraft market.
- We’ll enjoy our first lunch together at the beach and finish the afternoon exploring the famous fish market.
- Dinner and overnight stay in Nouakchott.
Day 2: Atar-Azougui
- Get ready for an exciting day trip as we set off to explore the Adrar Region! Our first stop is Atar, the capital of the region, where we’ll explore the vibrant market and indulge in some delicious local cuisine for lunch. We’ll then continue our adventure to Azougui, the former capital of the Almoravid dynasty, and home to one of the largest palm groves in the region. Get ready to be transported back in time as we explore this historic town. We’ll spend the night at the charming Auberge l’Etoile du Nord.
Day 3: Agrour-Ouadane
- After a hearty breakfast, we’ll embark on an adventure to Agrour, where we’ll discover the awe-inspiring Cave, filled with ancient rock paintings of men and animals that date back thousands of years. We’ll also visit Fort Saganne, which was built in 1984 for the Alain Corneau film. Our next stop is Ouadane, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the oldest cities in Mauritania. It was a crucial stop for trans-Saharan trade and salt caravans. We’ll take a break for lunch before exploring the city’s ancient streets and stunning mosque. Our cozy accommodation for the night is Auberge chez Vaqsue.
Day 4: Ouadane-Gualb er Richat-Tanouchert Palmgrove-Chinguetti
- Today, we’ll set off to Guelb er Richat to see the spectacular Richat structure, also known as the Eye of Africa. This prominent circular feature is sure to leave you in awe. We’ll then head to the charming Tanouchert Oasis, a halfway point between Ouadane and Chinguetti, known for its stunning desert scenery and palm trees. Finally, we’ll arrive in Chinguetti, the seventh holiest city of Islam and another UNESCO World Heritage Site. Get ready to be amazed as we explore the city’s library, old town, and enjoy a sunset at the sand dunes. Our accommodation for the night is the lovely Auberge l’Eden de Chinguetti.
Day 5: Chinguetti-Mhairett Oasis-White Valley-Terjit Oasis-Choum (Embarkation to the train)
- Our adventure continues as we head to Mhairett Oasis, one of the largest and most stunning palm groves in Adrar. We’ll also take in the extraordinary landscape of sandstone rocks on the way. Next, we’ll stop at Vallée Blanche (the White Valley), a wide valley with bright white sands that contrast beautifully with the black rocks and green vegetation. We’ll then arrive at the enchanting Terjit Oasis, where we’ll take a break for lunch and explore the palm grove and cool flowing waters. Finally, we’ll head to Choum, where we’ll embark on the train and reflect on our unforgettable adventure so far.
Day 6: Nouadhibou
- After arriving at the train station in Nouadhibou, we’ll transfer to the comfortable Hotel Valencia for a refreshing breakfast and shower. Then, get ready to explore this bustling port city and take in all the sights and sounds it has to offer. From its vibrant markets to its picturesque coastline, there’s so much to see and do in Nouadhibou. This is the perfect way to cap off an unforgettable adventure in Mauritania.
Day 7: Fly out
- After breakfast, the saddest day of any Expedition: we fly out of Nouadhibou and head back home! Or South, if you are joining our West Africa Expedition III.
HotelsBest local Homestays and hotels (when available).
GuidesExpert local guide and fixer.
TransportPrivate 4WD with driver.
FoodThree meals a day with a drink (water or soft drink).
Entrance FeesAll entrance fees to sites on your itinerary.
Iron Ore AssistancePreparing you for the best train ride.
how to join?
If you want to be one of the fortunate people selected for our Mauritania Expedition II:
- Make sure the dates work with you before you start the selection process.
- SAY YES and complete our online application form below.
- Once you’ve applied and signed up to Wander Expedition, we’ll update you as you move on in the selection process. Check your Spam folder regularly in case the automated emails go there!
Crazy experience to travel through the Mauritanian desert. It was my second expedition and it certainly didn’t disappoint. The legendary city of Aleg, crazy star night in Ouadane and of course the craziest train ride in the world “The Iron Ore train”. Our luck wasn’t the best, with harsh weather conditions on the train, but the amazing group made up for that. If you join expect a lot of driving but crazy scenery and a very raw/authentic experience!