Mauritania is the definition of a desert adventure. It has some of the best oases in the World, with natural pools and forests of palm trees which give tasty dates and a cool shade where you can sip some delicious mint tea. Experience local hospitality, stunning desert landscapes and an ancient history that survives amidst the dunes. It’s an Expedition for thrill seekers, with an insane train ride and an attempt to visit Western Sahara. And as always, the most fun family you could hope to share these memories with!
Day 1: Lake Aleg.
- The Expedition early in the morning of October 21st with a roadtrip to Aleg, in the south of the country.
- It’s a region where travellers never venture, so we’ll get a fantastic local life experience.
- Dinner and overnight stay in Nouakchott.
Day 2: Journey to Ouadane.
- In the early morning, we’ll cross the Sahara all the way to Ouadane. This ancient town surrounded by dunes still holds great historical importance, and it’s old Ksour is a Unesco site.
- Dinner and overnight at Chez Zayda. During this Expedition, we’ll maximize comfort staying at the best local homestays, but since Mauritania is very off-the-beaten path, accommodations are not up to high western standards. We’ll mingle more with locals and their lifestyle.
Day 3: Chinguetti.
- Full-day exploring Ouadane in the morning and nearby Chinguetti, another significant desert town in the afternoon. We’ll wander the nooks and crannies of its old city, visit the ancient Mosque and enter one of the oldest libraries in the region, with books over a few centuries old.
- For sunset, we’ll climb the biggest dunes for the best view in town.
- Dinner and overnight at Eden Guesthouse.
Day 4: Oases Terjit and Mheirith.
- It’s time to bask in the sun and swim in natural pools exploring the first class oases Mauritania has to offer. These are arguably some of the best oases in the World and we’ll let it all sink in.
- Delicious lunch trying local delicacies, under a palm tree shade with mint tea and dates that will blow your mind.
- Dinner and overnight at Chez Jamal.
Day 5: Zouerat and Western Sahara.
- We’ll try our best to cross into Western Sahara. Its a territory surrounded by conflict, so getting the permits isn’t easy, but we will try to experience it on our way to Zouerat, in Northern Mauritania.
- Dinner and overnight in Zouerat.
Day 6: Iron Ore train
- Today we ride the Iron Ore train! We’ll prepare accordingly during the morning, as well as visit the mines in Zouerat where this huge train stocks daily and carries the iron ore all across the Sahara desert to Nouadibou, in the coast.
- In the afternoon, we’ll jump on one of the carriages of the 3km long train and settle in for a thrilling 14 hour ride through the night.
- Overnight in the iron ore train.
Day 7: Nouadibou.
- We’ll arrive in the morning, have breakfast and head to our hotel to wash off and rest a bit.
- In the afternoon, we’ll explore Nouadibou, the second most important city in Mauritania.
- Dinner and overnight in Nouadibou.
Day 8: fly out.
- October 28th is the day we fly out! You can either fly out of NDB (Nouadibou) in the morning, there is a 10am flight to LPA (Canaries Islands in Spain) from where you can connect to Madrid. Alternatively, you can fly at 2pm in the afternoon to NKC (Nouakchott) and connect from there elsewhere!