Mauritania is the definition of a desert adventure. It has some of the best oases in the World, with natural pools and forests of palm trees which give tasty dates and a cool shade where you can sip some delicious mint tea. Experience local hospitality, stunning desert landscapes and an ancient history that survives amidst the dunes. It’s an Expedition for thrill seekers, with an insane train ride and our most affordable one! And as always, the most fun family you could hope to share these memories with!
Day 1: Arrival in Nouakchott
- We’ll visit of the old administrative district of Nouakchott, the Saudi Mosque and the handicraft market. We’ll enjoy our first lunch together at the beach and finish the afternoon exploring the famous fish market.
- Dinner and overnight stay in Nouakchott.
Day 2: Atar-Azougui
- Get ready for an exciting day trip as we set off to explore the Adrar Region! Our first stop is Atar, the capital of the region, where we’ll explore the vibrant market. We’ll then continue our adventure to Azougui, the former capital of the Almoravid dynasty and home to one of the largest palm groves in the region.
- Overnight in Azougui.
Day 3: Agrour, Terjit Oasis & Mhairett Oasis
- Our adventure continues as we head to Mhairett Oasis, one of the largest and most stunning palm groves in Adrar. Next, we’ll stop at Vallée Blanche (the White Valley), a wide valley with bright white sands that contrast beautifully with the black rocks and green vegetation. We’ll then arrive at the enchanting Terjit Oasis, where we’ll explore the palm grove and cool flowing waters. We’ll embark on an adventure to Agrour, where we’ll discover the awe-inspiring Cave, filled with ancient rock paintings of men and animals that date back thousands of years. We’ll also visit Fort Saganne.
- Overnight in Ouadane.
Day 4: Ouadane-Gualb er Richat-Tanouchert Palmgrove-Chinguetti
- Today, we’ll set off to Guelb er Richat to see the spectacular Richat structure, also known as the Eye of Africa. We’ll then head to the charming Tanouchert Oasis, a halfway point between Ouadane and Chinguetti, known for its stunning desert scenery and palm trees. Finally, we’ll arrive in Chinguetti, the seventh holiest city of Islam and another UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Overnight in Chinguetti.
Day 5: Iron ore train.
- After visiting Atar Market, we’ll head to Choum, where we’ll embark on the train and reflect on our unforgettable adventure so far.
- Overnight at the Iron Ore train.
Day 6: Nouadhibou
- After arriving at the train station in Nouadhibou, we’ll transfer to the comfortable Hotel Valencia for a refreshing breakfast and shower. Then, get ready to explore this bustling port city and take in all the sights and sounds it has to offer. From its vibrant markets to its picturesque coastline, there’s so much to see and do in Nouadhibou. This is the perfect way to cap off an unforgettable adventure in Mauritania.
- Overnight at Nouadhibou.
Day 7: Fly out
- After breakfast, the saddest day of any Expedition: we fly out of Nouadhibou and head back home!
HotelsBest local Homestays and hotels (when available).
GuidesExpert local guide and fixer.
TransportPrivate 4WD with driver.
FoodThree meals a day with a drink (water or soft drink).
Entrance FeesAll entrance fees to sites on your itinerary.
Iron Ore AssistancePreparing you for the best train ride.
Our Selection Process takes only 10 minutes and it helps us create the best travel family!